The placement exam is designed to help you determine the correct course for beginning your language study at KU, if you already have experience in a foreign language. This exam focuses on your abilities and knowledge of the language, rather than on the amount of your prior coursework.
Students should take the online language placement exam online: http://languages.ku.edu/placement-exams
The process of determining the proper placement may also include a conversation with a placement advisor about your language background.
The proficiency exam is for students who want to fulfill the College foreign language requirement with German without taking any German courses at KU or to skip a level in the GERM 104-108-201-202 sequence.
These students will take the placement exam and a proficiency exam (written and oral). Details follow:
1. Students should take the online language placement exam online http://languages.ku.edu/placement-exams
2. Should a student receive a score below 500 and wish to test out of the College foreign language requirement equivalent to one, two, or three semesters of German, s/he will contact Dr. Ljudmila Bilkić, the departmental Placement / Proficiency Coordinator, by email (email@example.com). Dr. Bilkić will arrange a written and oral exam for the student.
3. The student will meet with the coordinator at the scheduled time to take the written and oral exam and will be notified of the results.
4. Should the student receive a score of 500 or higher and wish to test out of the College foreign language requirement equivalent to four semesters, s/he will contact the departmental Undergraduate Advisor, Ari Linden, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
5. If, after discussion with the undergraduate advisor, the student still wishes to test out of German, s/he will be asked to contact the departmental Placement / Proficiency Coordinator, Dr. Ljudmila Bilkić (email@example.com), to arrange a written and oral exam (see #2 above).